Monday, January 19, 2009

shirts and incompletes

My friend Alec gave me his blank Munny shirt to work on a design months ago. I didn't know what I was going to put on it until a few days ago.

I kept telling him I was going to make it into a pink unicorn with a rainbow background. He didn't seem to like that too much.
But anyway. I know he likes Koi fish, he even has a pair of pants that have Koi on the back pockets. So yesterday, in probably less than an hour, I threw this on the shirt.
Of course I had to practice to see which medium was going to work best on the black part of the shirt. I tried Crayola fabric markers- didn't work (worked on the Munny, but not the black), some other fabric markers- didn't work. And then I tried these pastel crayon looking things (sorry I don't remember the name or brand right now. I'll post that later, if I can remember to)- they worked fabulously (except when it came to heat setting)
This is probably the closest that it looks when seeing it on someone (sorry for the blur, my camera takes some horrible pictures when there's no flash).

And this is what it looks like with a little flash.

I was pretty impressed with the finished results. This took little to no time to do- however heat setting it resulted in the color dimming, so I reapplied the colors 3 times in all, with the last time being the darkest after heat setting it with an iron.
I know I said I was going to add color to the skull with roses that I spoke about last week. I did start on that project, but was only able to work on it on Friday after work. So it's not very far along.
But here's the drawing, pre-scanned in to photoshop. So we'll see how it goes.

No comments: