Friday, March 27, 2015

Goodies for my first Niece

The package arrived for my sweet little niece who has finally made her grand entrance.  I've been told a photo shoot is taking place involving some of the goodies I sent.  Can't wait to see how they turnout.

My brother and his wife are fairly big Harley Davidson fans, and several months ago my sister-in-law requested a helmet, diaper cover and boots in black with HD patches...how could I pass up the opportunity to knit that?

Using this pattern I managed to fashion the adorable little helmet, complete with Harley orange flower to distinguish that she's a girl.
Sewing the patch on was a bit of a challenge, but it didn't turn out too bad, if I do say so myself.
The diaper cover was an entirely different beast.  Several years ago I picked up this ebook from knitpicks.com, promising myself that the minute one of my family members had a kid I would make the pig diaper cover and bonnet...that didn't exactly happen- The diaper cover pattern came in handy for making the Harley pants.
Again, the patch was a bit of a pain to sew, but it made it on the back side.  I made it a little large, since I knew my brother might have to put it on his new daughter and I didn't want him to feel like he was going to break her or anything.  So it's a tad on the large size for her...give her a few more months to enjoy it.
The booties were my favorite part of the whole outfit.
There's a bunch of crochet patterns out there, but I was determined to knit them.  So using the same knitpicks.com ebook as the diaper cover (diaper soaker is what the pattern calls it) I managed to knit some cute little black boots for her.
You can read about the blanket I made for her here.
I managed to knit a larger version of the helmet as well, so if they want, once she grows out of the smaller version, they can remove the patch and attach it to the larger helmet.  Hopefully it'll be a bit before she grows out of the small one though.
She already has my heart and I haven't even met her yet.  Soon though. 

No comments: